Sunday, December 10, 2006

Signs of Penang 2.

More signs from Penang. This one, written in Malay, replicates the style of the old Malboro Man ads, with an anti-smoking message from the Ministry of Health. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing funny about cancer, but the sign, which says, "Bob, I have cancer", had SCS and me in stitches. Bob? I'm not quite sure how many people named Bob live here. Muhammad, maybe. Ravi, perhaps. Hong, okay. But Bob? It's a good sign with a great message, but the choice of name, shall we say, caught us off-guard. First rule of advertising: know your audience.

The headline sheepishly exclaims: "Gender discrimination at medical practices across Malaysia!" Okay, maybe not, but then where to the rams go to get their ivories polished? Trying to find out has been like pulling teeth because everyone has wanted to pull the wool over my eyes. Baad, I know.

I can only presume evil wood is that which wasn't purchased at the gift shop of the Kek Lok Si Buddhist Temple in Penang. An anti-piracy message for prayer beads, perhaps?

And, if you happen to have been a trafficker of evil wood, perhaps you can redeem yourself at the Moral Uplifting Society?


I suppose the owner of this cafe doesn't plan for it to be around long -- perhaps it's costing him too much money and he's soon going to have to go into hock to pay for it?

Well, that seems mighty unfriendly. At Bukit Jambul Mall, near our hotel, the sign offers a stern warning. Perhaps, too stern? I'm all for offenders being prosecuted, but the sniper seems just a tad imposing.


Back home, this might read tidbits. Or perhaps, it's just where 50 Cent got his concept for the track Candy shop.

Which takes us back to this job posting. No word on whether or not it's for a dental office.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the best blog ever. My last trip to Penang, I took a dozen photos of signs that cracked me up. You show a warning sign with a photo of a gun-toting stick man. But did you know that if you go to the turn-off for the Hotel Equitorial, you can see a sign that captures the actual moment that a cartoon man is shot for cartoon trespassing? It's very clear. Keep up the good work.

WhereIsBisonDele? said...

Thanks for the kind words. I had heard of the more graphic versions of the warning signs, but didn't have time to get to the one we knew the location of. I'd love to see the shots (so to speak) you took.
Cheers and thanks again.