Friday, December 08, 2006

Signs of Penang.

Signs often amuse me. Small things maybe, but I get a kick out of them nonetheless. Today's walk through Penang was particularly fruitful for the discovery of new things to make me chuckle.

I really don't know where to begin with this first one. Do I start on the fact that we don't usually find places that sell chicks -- presumably meaning young chickens -- and furniture in the same store? Perhaps they sell small Barca loungers for fledgling birds? Or am I to presume the proprietor was referring to the vernacular for 'chicks' -- meaning 'fine-looking ladies' -- in ye olde English? And that they were somehow a tad 'dirty'? Still, where does the furniture fit in? Oh, never mind.

New and modern? Oh, and fancy, too? Sign me up. Oh wait, what exactly do you sell that is so modern, fancy and new?

Welcome to Penang! This, in Penang's airport, is yet another odd juxtaposition: a sign advertising a store's booze and smokes with Mickey Mouse and Cinderella hanging underneath. Hunh? After some of those movies, I might feel I need a drink, too, but seriously folks. Don't start 'em young.

The new advertising slogan for Viagra.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DK:

Hope things are going well. You're not in London today (which is a good thing). To say we had a little snow would be an understatement. It started to fall late Thursday afternoon and continued all night. When all was said and done the next morning, we had 60CM of snow....this is not a typo. For those not into the metric system (like myself), how does TWO FEET of snow sound. Yikes is right! Of course the university shut down for the day. In fact, the city pretty well shut down - Fanshawe, all high schools and elementary schools, no buses, cabs only taking emergency calls.....but of course the malls open - nor rain, nor sleet, nor snow...I could have sworn that was the mailmen's moniker....anyway, you can imagine the shovelling and shovelling and shovelling that went on for most of the night and day.

But enough about me. It seems you're having quite the experience. I'm enjoying the pics, but of course am still anticipating the smokin' monkey photo shoot. I'd tell you to have fun, relax, eat well, have a few drinks and all that sort of stuff, but I'm pretty sure you're well ahead of the game in those categories.

Walewander