Thursday, September 20, 2007

Really, even that has been patented?

Imagine my astonishment to see that the manufacturing of a climax was patented in 1890 (and then, not surprisingly, over and over again). Ah, we have much to be thankful to the Victorian era for, but I'm gathering the patent was only valid for men ("Not only am I a client, I'm the President"). I can only imagine the full spate of advertising slogans, followed by "New and Improved".

Okay, not really. As if the residents of Climax, Pennsylvania haven't already heard them all (my suggested Climax tourism board slogan: It's worth going all the way to Climax). Yes, Climax is indeed a small town known for its mining industry and was also apparently home to a train engine manufacturer (from which this comes) at one point as well.

Based in New York, there's also a Climax Manufacturing Company that produces folding cartons and recycled paperboard. Sexy. Much like the Big Ass Fans t-shirts from last year, though, this would be a great corporate shirt to have that might induce a snicker or two. Or perhaps even a chortle. Anything more than that would just be gravy.

No comments: