Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Inadvertent Porn.

Yesterday's post was all about words; today, I am compelled to tackle design. SCS returned from the Philippines last night and -- in her infinite wisdom and foresight -- she knew I would very much appreciate the humour inherent in this placemat, uncovered at a family restaurant during her travels. At the very least, she knew that it would make good blog fodder.

I could go on about how the design consists of a hodgepodge of assorted (not to mention incongruous) images, like the floating sandwiches. Why, pray-tell, aren't they the slightest bit soggy? Didn't Columbus sail the ocean blue on a Monte Cristo? I could also go on about the very-obviously Photoshopped-in flag flying, a couple of sizes too large, over the port.

But, no, the true essence of this design disaster lies not in the inadvertent port, but in the inadvertent porn. That's right, taking the metaphorical cake is the fondue fountain or iced pastry (I'm still not sure what it is), gushing out over the Philippines. Did I mention this is for a family restaurant?

No comments: