A young red tailed hawk (his feathers haven't yet completely matured on his legs and he has yet to develop his tell-tale red tail) was standing guard over prey it had caught, but couldn't quite carry. Its partner was in a nearby tree, and when this beautiful bird finally left after a lengthy bit of sentry duty, they flew off together into the trees.
With wingspans of more than four feet and weighing on average between 2-4 pounds, combined with great speed and eyesight, these birds certainly deserve to stand regally.
The hawk did not appear afraid of people milling around and watching it, but it didn't look prepared to give up its meal right away, either. I doubt many of us would have been clamoring for the snack, anyway. Not sure about the paparazzi, it mugged for the camera, but only sternly. After too many horror movies, its agent only wants offers for serious roles these days. No more predictably flighty victims with feathered hair who just try to wing their lines -- instead, something to sink its claws into.
"Rhinoplasty? You think? Would it make me look more like Roadrunner? The chicks dig him, you know. But I've heard horror stories and I don't want to end up like Toucan Sam. Or Big Bird."
Parental discretion is advised: Standing guard over its prey, this bird proves it is definitely not a vegetarian. Calls have been made to PETA and they're not quite sure if an animal can be responsible for cruelty to other animals. I can say, however, that talons and beaks would not be a preferred way I'd want to go. I'm just sayin'.




No comments:
Post a Comment