Without question, the Redundant Sign of the Day. One you'd almost more expect at a 20-buck-an-hour joint just off the Sunset Strip, with blinking neon lights leering like smeared lipstick against the backdrop of an eyeshadow sky. Which is it, people? If there are no apartments for rent, then perhaps you might just want to simply take down your 99-cent sign. Then, you can use the blank spot for its prescribed use: contact information. I'm just sayin'.This sign, in Kingston, has an entertaining business name and also made me chuckle, particularly as it is followed by something along the lines of "Specializing in Fine Meats and Cheeses". Mmm, meats and cheeses.
A delicatessen. Wouldn't have been my first guess when I saw the sign. Really, written as a short play, I can just picture how this one would go:CANDACE: "Hey ma, like I'm sooo like geeked and stuff -- I got a job today" (flicking her recently bleached blonde hair back, catching it momentarily on the ubiquitous lip ring of rebellious youth). "Now I'm going to be able to get that Juicy Couture purse!" (Because she's really a conformist at heart.)
MOTHER: "That's great, honey -- where?" (Thinking, 'excellent, now maybe you'll move out soon, and will dump that no-good beatnik of a boyfriend of yours. What's his name again?')
CANDACE: "Like, um, the Hind Quarter! Oh, I love all the sausages! What a meat market."
Mother faints.
Fin.



No comments:
Post a Comment